Monday, February 21, 2011

Our Sheriff Lobo

I hope the Omega Men cover is here.  I had a hell of a time getting it to load.  It was a huge pain in the ass, which is much the same way I feel about the cover star, Lobo.  As you can, the DC star who used to be as popular as Wolverine wasn't always a leather jacket wearing psycho with wild hair.  He used to wear a purple and orange leotard.

I've written about Lobo before and my lack of understanding when it comes to his appeal.  When he first started getting popular, however, I will admit to snatching up this back issue (#3, in case the image is not showing up) since it was his first appearance and I figured I would at some point cash in on it.  The store that had it had no idea it was his first appearance.  The back issue was priced at something like $2.00 in Near Mint condition.  It seemed like a good idea.

I never read the issue, though I paged through it.  Quite honestly, his hair freaked me out a bit.  I promptly put the issue back in its sleeve and filed it away.  The series wasn't one I was interested in, and Lobo's appearance in it wasn't enough to get me to read it. 

Characters sometimes have some really strange beginnings.  Wolverine was decent right from the gate.  Batman, too.  Lobo's first appearance isn't anywhere near as bad as Squirrel Girl's, but it's fairly close.  It goes to show that first appearances can be turned around and made into something that falls just short of a phenomenon ... no matter how big of a pain in the ass it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment